Canada gives the nod to the Covid 19 vaccine. By doing so, Canada becomes the third country to approve the new Pfizer BioNtech vaccine. According to Health Canada dept., the detailed information, including scientific summaries and complete clinical trial data, will be made available in the next few weeks. Health Canada has also put down specific terms and conditions regarding the vaccine, which are as follows:
- Monthly safety monitoring reports including information about side effects.
- Additional data on the safety and efficacy of the drug including final data from existing and proceeding clinical trials.
- Further quality data validating there are methods and controls to ensure vaccines of suitable quality are being produced.
Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, also mentioned in one of his tweets that about 2,49,000 doses of coronavirus vaccine would arrive in the country by the end of 2020. He also stated that there would be enough quantity of vaccine available in the country in early 2021.
Canada has become a world leader in terms of the number of COVID-19 vaccines it has acquired based on a per capita basis. Moreover, Canada has signed contracts with seven companies and has secured 414 million doses of vaccines.
The approved vaccines are set to be completely free for Canada’s citizens, which are primarily available for the priority population, that includes,
- Residents and faculty of shared living settings who take care of the seniors
- People 70 years of age and older, with the order of priority:
- starting with adults 80 years of age and older
- decreasing the age limit by 5-year increments to age 70 years as supply becomes available
- Health-care workers who have direct contact with patients, including:
- People who work in health care settings
- personal support workers
Afterwards, it will be available to every other citizen in the country, who are recommended to get vaccinated by the federal, provincial or the territorial public health authorities.
With this huge vaccination campaign in its history, Canada can now expect many potential immigrants this year. Hopefully, the approval and proper utilization of the vaccine will lead to the increasing number of immigrants to Canada in near future. Availing vaccines to the residents of Canada will definitely be a catalyst for bringing back the country and its immigration system to normal.